Avulsion of primary teeth - a case report
Avulsed primary tooth is totally dislodgement from the socket and require prompt recognition and treatment. A 3-year old girl visited Department for preventive and pediatric dentistry within the University Dental Center Ss. Pantelejmon in Skopje, due to a tooth injury in the upper jaw after falling during walking at home yard. The injury happened the day before, so the time taken from the injury to the arrival of the pediatric dentist was more than 24 hours. The girl did not have any signs or symptoms of neurological damage. After obtaining accident history and performed clinical examination and X-ray the diagnosis of complete traumatic dental avulsion 61 was made. The teeth was transported in a glass bottle with physiological solution. According to the guidelines of the International Association of Dental Traumatology, replantation of deciduous teeth is contraindicated because it can cause a number of complications. Avulsion as a dental trauma injury leads to premature loss of primary incisors thus causing numbers of short‐ and long‐term sequelae on the life of the child. Therefore, the role of the pediatric dentist is very important, who should manage these injuries well and should give advice and support to the parents and manage the child constantly and accordingly in the post-traumatic period.
2. Richards D. One billion people have experienced a traumatic dental injury. Evid Based Dent. 2018; 19(2): 34-35.
3. Beloica D, Vulović M, Duggal M, Dimitrijević B. Povrede zuba. Stomatološki fakultet, Univerzitet u Beogradu. 2007.
4. Skaare AB, Jacobsen I. Primary tooth injuries in Norwegian children (1-8 years). Dent Traumatol. 2005; 21(6): 315-319.
5. Day PF, Flores MT, O’Connell AC, et al. International Association of Dental Traumatology guidelines for the management of traumatic dental injuries: 3. Injuries in the primary dentition. Dent Traumatol 2020; 36: 343-359.
6. Friedlander LT, Chandler NP, Drummond BK. Avulsion and replantation of a primary incisor tooth. Dent Traumatol. 2013; 29(6): 494-497.
7. Holan G, Needleman HL. Premature loss of primary anterior teeth due to trauma-potential short- and long-term sequelae. Dent Traumatol. 2014; 30(2): 100-6.
8. Wu TT, Li JY, Yang KY, Wang PX, Yuan JX, Guo QY, Liu F. A cross-sectional evaluation of knowledge among Chinese dentists regarding the treatment of traumatic injuries in primary teeth. Dent Traumatol. 2021; 37(2): 188-195.
9. Bakarčić D, Hrvatin S, Maroević M, Ivančić Jokić N. First Aid Management in Emergency Care of Dental Injuries – Knowledge Among Teachers in Rijeka, Croatia. Acta Clin Croat. 2017; 56(1): 110-116.
10. Salarić I, Tikvica Medojević D, Baždarić K, Kern J, Miličević A, Đanić P, et al. Primary School Teachers' Knowledge on Tooth Avulsion. Acta Stomatol Croat. 2021; 55(1): 28-36.
11. Acharya S. Avulsion and replantation of primary teeth - A feasible option. Dentist Case Rep. 2017; 1(1): 1-3.
12. Martins Júnior PA, Franco FA, de Barcelos RV. Replantation of avulsed primary teeth: a systematic review. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2014; 24(2): 77-83.
13. Janković S, Žuža A, Davidović B, Simić I, Davidović L. Traumatic extraction of upper central incisors. Serbian Dental J. 2018; 65(2): 97-104.
14. Holan G. Replantation of avulsed primary incisors: a critical review of a controversial treatment. Dent Traumatol. 2013; 29(3): 178-84.
15. Kapur A, Goyal A, Gauba K. Case Report-Replantation of an Avulsed Primary Incisor: Report of a Case with Favorable Outcome. J Postgrad Med Educ Res. 2014; 48(2): 105-108.
16. Lenzi MM, Jacomo DR, Carvalho V, Campos V. Avulsion of primary teeth and sequelae on the permanent successors: longitudinal study. Braz J Dent Traumatol. 2011; 2(2): 80-84.
17. Christophersen P, Freund M, Harild L. Avulsion of primary teeth and sequelae on the permanent successors. Dent Traumatol. 2005; 21(6): 320-323.
18. Tannure PN, Valinoti AC, Maia LC. The use of a natural tooth crown following traumatic injuries in primary dentition. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2009; 33(4): 275-278.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.