Patterns of drug resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis from tuberculosis patients in Ibadan Nigeria
The success of the global tuberculosis (TB) control program has been threatened with drug resistant strains emergence; especially the Multidrug Resistant Tuberculosis (MDR-TB). Despite that Nigeria is one of the countries with high tuberculosis burden, little is known on the magnitude of MDR-TB in the country. This study was to determine drug resistant patterns of Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolated from patients that attended Directly Observed Treatment Short-course (DOTS) centres in Ibadan, Nigeria. Sputum samples collected from confirmed TB patients were processed using the N-acetyl L-cysteine-sodium hydroxide decontamination method. Direct drug susceptibility test was carried out against rifampicin, isoniazid, ethambuthol and streptomycin. Out of the 319 samples collected, 149 (46.7%) were culture positive and susceptibility test was completed for 101 (67.8%) isolates, out of which any resistance and mono-resistance to rifampicin was 23.8% and 8.9% respectively. In all 11.9% MDR-TB was observed comprising 30.8% (acquired), and 8.3% (primary) while, 3.96% showed resistance to all tested drugs. The patterns of MDR-TB in this study indicates that active case findings as well as expansion of drug susceptibility testing is required to effectively control TB, drug resistant strains and to forestall the transmission and spread of the drug-resistant TB in the society.
2. Myneedu VP, Behera D, Verma M, Bhalla N, Singh J, Arora R, et al. XpertW MTB/RIF assay for tuberculosis diagnosis: evaluation in an Indian setting. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2014; 18(8): 958-960.
3. WHO. Global Tuberculosis Report- Multidrug-/rifampicin-resistant TB (MDR/RR-TB) Update. 2018.
4. MacNeil A, Glaziou P, Sismanidis C, Maloney S, Floyd K. Global epidemiology of tuberculosis and progress toward achieving global targets – 2017. Morbid Mortal Weekly Report. 2019; 68(11): 263.
5. Seung KJ, Keshavjee S, Rich M. Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis and extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med. 2015; 5: a017863.
6. Mitchison D, Davies G. The chemotherapy of tuberculosis: past, present and future. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2012; 16: 724-732.
7. Raviglione MC, Pio A. Evolution of WHO policies for tuberculosis control, 1948-2001. Lancet. 2002; 359: 775-780.
8. Raviglione M, Marais B, Flyod K, Lönnroth K, Getahun, H, Migliori GB, et al. Scaling up interventions to achieve global tuberculosis control: progress and new developments. Lancet. 2012; 379: 1902-1913.
9. Marais BJ, Mlambo CK, Rastogi N, Zozio T, Duse AG, Victor TC, et al. Epidemic spread of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in Johannesburg, S Afr J Clin Microbiol. 2013; 51: 1818-1825.
10. Ani AE, Idoko J, Dalyop YB, Pitmang SL. Drug resistance profile of Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates from pulmonary tuberculosis patients in Jos, Nigeria. Trans Royal Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2009; 103: 67-71.
11. Otu A, Umoh V, Habib A, Ameh S, Lawson L, Ansa V. Drug resistance among pulmonary tuberculosis patients in Calabar, Nigeria. Pulmon Med. 2013; 6: ID 235190.
12. Kehinde OA, Obaseki FA, Ishola OC, Ibrahim K. Multidrug resistance Mycobacterium tuberculosis in a tertiary hospital. J Nat Med Ass. 2007; 99: 1185-1189.
13. Deoskar RB, Sengupta B, Rajan KE, Barthwa MS, Falleiro JJJ, Sharma SK. Study of drug resistant pulmonary tuberculosis. Med J Armed Forces Ind. 2005; 61: 3.
14. Kent PT, Kubica GP. Public health mycobacteriology: A guide for the level III laboratory. Center for Disease Control. Atlanta GA, 1985.
15. Canetti G, Froman S, Grosset J, Hauduroy P, Langerrova M, Mahler HT, et al. Mycobacteria: laboratory methods for testing drug sensitivity and resistance. B W Health Org. 1963; 29: 565-568.
16. WHO. Global tuberculosis control: surveillance, planning, financing. Geneva: The Organization; 2007.
17. IUATLD. The Public Health Service National Tuberculosis Reference Laboratory and the National Laboratory Network, Minimum Requirement, Role and Operation in a Low-Income Country. Int Uni Tuberc Lung Dis. 1998; 75-76.
18. Musa HR, Ambroggi M, Sonto A, Angeby KA. Drug susceptibility testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis by a nitrate reductase assay applied directly on microscopy-positive sputum samples. J Clin Microbiol. 2005; 43: 3159-3161.
19. Pereira M, Srikanth T, Vikas I, Manoj B, Amruta D, Rajshekar I, et al. Drug resistance pattern of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in seropositive and sreonegative HIV-TB patients in Pune India. Ind J Med Res. 2005; 121: 235-239.
20. Santha T, Thomas A, Chandrasekaran V, Selvakumar N, Gopi PG, Subramani R, et al. Initial drug susceptibility profile of M. tuberculosis among patients under TB programme in South India. Int J Tuberc L Dis. 2006 ;10: 52-57.
21. Yonge SA, Otieno MF, Sharma RR, Nteka SS. Drug susceptibility patterns of Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates from tuberculosis patients in Coastal Kenya. J Tuberc Res. 2017; 5: 201-219.
22. Winston CA Mitruka K. Treatment duration for patients with drug-resistant tuberculosis, United States. Emerg Infect Dis. 2012; 18: 1201-1202.
23. Timperi R, Han LL, Sloutsky A, Becerra MC, Nardell EA, Salazar JJ, Mithawzi MC. Drug resistance profiles of Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates: five years’ experience and insight into treatment strategies for MDR-TB in Lima, Peru. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2005; 9: 175-180.
24. Owusu-Dabo E, Adjei O, Meyer CG, Horstman RD, Enimil A, Kruppa TF, et al. Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in HIV- negative patients, Buenos Aires, Argentina. Emerg Infect Dis. 2006; 9: 965-969.
25. Migliori GB, Centis R, Fattorini L, Bessozzi G, Saltini C, Scarparo C, et al. Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex drug resistance in Italy. Emerg Infect Dis. 2004; 10: 752-753.
26. Dam T, Isa M, Bose M. Drug sensitivity profile of clinical Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates - a retrospective study from a chest-disease institute in India. Med Microbiol. 2005; 40: 553-555.
27. Ershova JV, Volchenkov GV, Kaminski DA, Somova TR, Kuznetsova TA, Kaunetis NV, et al. Epidemiology of primary multidrug-resistant tuberculosis, Vladimir Region, Russia. Emerg Infect Dis. 2015; 21(11): 2048-2051.
28. Sanchez-Padilla E, Dlamini T, Ascorra A, Rüsch-Gerdes S, Tefera ZD, Calain P, et al. High prevalence of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis, Swaziland, 2009-2010. Emerg Infect Dis. 2012; 18(1): 29-37.
29. Agbaji M, Nwakoby B. Drug-resistance in chronic tuberculosis cases in southern Nigeria. Nigerian J Clin Pract. 2010; 13: 58-63.
30. Ade S, Trébucq A, Harries AD, Affolabi D, Ade G, Agodokpessi G, et al. MDR-TB treatment needs in patients previously treated for TB in Cotonou, Benin. Int Uni Tuberc Lung Dis. 2013; 3: 160-165.
31. Wu X, Yang J, Tan G, Liu H, Liu Y, Guo Y, et al. Drug resistance characteristics of Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates from patients with tuberculosis to 12 anti-tuberculous drugs in China. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 2019; 9: 345.
32. Assam-Assam J, Penlap VB, Cho-Ngwa F, Tedom J, Ane-Anyangwe I, Titanji VP. Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex drug resistance pattern and identification of species causing tuberculosis in the West and Centre regions of Cameroon. BMC Infect Dis. 2011; 11: 94-100.
33. Dierberg KL, Dorjee K, Salvo F, Cronin WA, Boddy J, Cirillo D, et al. Improved detection of tuberculosis and multidrug-resistant tuberculosis among Tibetan refugees, India. Emerg Infect Dis. 2016; 22: 463-468.
34. Dobler CC, Korver S, Batbayar O, Nyamdulam B, Oyuntsetseg S, Tsolmon B, et al. Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in patients for whom first-line treatment failed, Mongolia, 2010-2011. Emerg Infect Dis. 2015; 21: 1451-1454.
35. Sindani I, Fitzpatric C, Falzon D, Suleiman B, Arube P, Adam I, et al. Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis, Somalia. Emerg Infect Dis. 2013; 19: 478-480.
36. Metcalfe JZ, Makumbirota S, Makamure S, Sandy C, Bara W, Mungofa S, et al. Drug-resistant tuberculosis in high-risk groups, Zimbabwe. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014; 20: 135-137.
37. Okodua M, Ihongbe J, Esumeh F. Pulmonary tuberculosis and resistance pattern to first line anti-tuberculosis drugs in a city of western Nigeria. Int J Bas Appl Innov Res. 2012; 1: 48-56.
38. Oluwaseun E, Akinnii AP, Afolabi O. Primary multi-drug resistant tuberculosis among HIV seropositive and seronegative patients in Abeokuta, South-western Nigeria. J Res Comm. 2013; 1: 224-237.
39. Malhotra B, Pathak S, Vyas L, Katoch VM, Srivastava K, Chauhan DS, et al. Drug susceptibility profiles of Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates at Jaipur. Ind Med Microbiol. 2002; 20: 76-78.
40. Lam E, Nateniyom S, Whitehead S, Anuwatnonthakate A, Monkongdee P, Apiratee K, et al. Use of drug-susceptibility testing for management of drug-resistant tuberculosis, Thailand, 2004-2008. Emerg Infec Dis. 2014; 20: 401-408.
41. Palmero DJ. Tuberculosis and HIV/AIDS. In: Tuberculosis 2007 from basic science to patient care. First edn. Juan Carlos Palomino, Sylvia Cardoso Leão, Viviana Ritacco. Belgium, Brazil, Argentina. June 2007.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.