Fumigant toxicity and repellency of citronella grass essential oil (Cymbopogon nardus (L.) Rendle) to German cockroaches (Blattella germanica L.)
Citronella grass (Cymbopogon nardus (L.) Rendle) is a tropical plant that can develop as an insect pest fumigant and repellent, especially for the control of the populations of German cockroaches (Blattella germanica L.). The research aims to investigate the fumigation toxicity and repellency of citronella grass essential oil against German cockroach males and nymphs. Fumigation toxicity and repellency tests are the protocol that uses in the present research. The field populations of cockroaches collected in Indonesia from several locations. The essential oil of citronella grass is not fumigant. In contrast, the citronella grass essential oil effectively repels the cockroach, and the repellency ranges from 65.72–100.00% at 1 hour and still effective after 24 hours. The citronella grass essential oil can develop as a repellent product than as a fumigant to the German cockroach pest.
2. Rahayu R, Madona WR, Bestari W, Jannatan R. Resistance monitoring of some commercial insecticides to German cockroach (Blattella germanica (L.) in Indonesia. J Entomol Zool Studies. 2016; 4: 709-712.
3. Koul O, Walia S, Dhaliwal GS. Essential oils as green pesticides: potential and constraints. Biopestic Int. 2008; 4(1): 63-84.
4. Tripathi AK, Upadhyay S, Bhuiyan M, Bhattacharya PR. A review on prospects of essential oils as biopesticide in insect-pest management. J Pharmacogn Phytother. 2009; 1(5): 52-63.
5. Mann RS, Kaufman P. Natural product pesticides: their development, delivery and use against insect vectors. Mini Rev Org Chem. 2012; 9(2): 185-202.
6. Jannatan R, Rahayu R, Herwina H, Nasir N. Toxicity of citronella grass essential oil (Cymbopogon nardus (L.) Rendle) to female and nymph German cockroaches (Blattella germanica L.). Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci. 2017; 8(1): 1763-1769.
7. Phillips AK, Appel AG. Fumigant toxicity of essential oils to the German cockroach (Dictyoptera: Blattellidae). J Econ Entomol. 2010; 103(3): 781-790.
8. Ngoh SP, Choo LE, Pang FY, Huang Y, Kini MR, Ho SH. Insecticidal and repellent properties of nine volatile constituents of essential oils against the American cockroach, Periplaneta americana (L.). Pestic Sci. 1998; 54(3): 261-268.
9. Manzoor F, Munir N, Ambreen A, Naz S. Efficacy of some essential oils against American cockroach Periplaneta americana (L.). J Med Plant Res. 2012; 6(6): 1065-1069.
10. Setiawati W, Murtiningsih R, Hasyim A. Laboratory and field evaluation of essential oils from Cymbopogon nardus as oviposition deterrent and ovicidal activities against Helicoverpa armigera Hubner on chili pepper. Ind J Agric Sci. 2011; 12(1): 9-16.
11. Rahayu R, Mairawita, Jannatan R. Efficacy and residual activity of lemongrass essential oil (Cymbopogon flexuosus) against German cockroaches (Blattella germanica). J Entomol. 2018; 15(3): 149-154.
12. Nakahara K, Alzoreky NS, Yoshihashi T, Nguyen HT, Trakoontivakorn G. Chemical composition and antifungal activity of essential oil from Cymbopogon nardus (citronella grass). JARQ. 2013; 37(4): 249-252.
13. LeOra Software (LeOra Software Co., Ltd.). POLO-PC, Probit and Logit Analysis. LeOra Software Company. California; 1987.
14. Lee CY, Lee LC, Ang BH, Chong NL. Insecticide resistance in Blattella germanica (L.) (Dictyoptera: Blattellidae) from hotels and restaurants in Malaysia. In Proceed 3rd Intl Conf Urban Pests 1999: 171-181.
15. DPP. Method Test of Efficacy Environmental Hygiene. Jakarta: The Directorate General of the Fertilizer and Pesticide Indonesia. Department of Agriculture of the Republic of Indonesia; 2004.
16. Thavara U, Tawatsin A, Bhakdeenuan P, Wongsinkongman P, Boonruad T, Bansiddhi J, et al. Repellent activity of essential oils against cockroaches (Dictyoptera: Blattidae, Blattellidae, and Blaberidae) in Thailand. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 2007; 38(4): 663-673.
17. Mahalwal VS, Ali M. Volatile constituents of Cymbopogon nardus (Linn.) Rendle. Flavour Fragr J. 2003; 18(1): 73-6.
18. Lee S, Peterson CJ, Coats JR. Fumigation toxicity of monoterpenoids to several stored product insects. J Stored Prod Res. 2003; 39(1): 77-85.
19. Gillott C. Entomology. Springer Science & Business Media; 2005.
20. Coats JR, Karr LL, Drewes CD. Toxicity and neurotoxic effects of monoterpenoids: in insects and earthworms. Am Chem Soc Symp Ser. 1991; 449: 305-316.
21. Isman MB, Machial CM. Pesticides based on plant essential oils: from traditional practice to commercialization. Adv Phytomed. 2006; 3: 29-44.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.